Maybelline The Eraser Eye Concealer


Many, many lines were written about the Eraser concealer on this blog, by that I mean pretty much glorifying epics expressing my love for it, yet I never did an actual proper review of it. Well, here is it, only a few years too late. It was almost four years ago that on one faithful day, I stumbled upon this in an Austrian DM and bought my very first tube. In all this time, I was never without one in my stash, but damn is it a hard concealer to find and that is not a good thing when you love this concealer as much as I do. So many people are completely repulsed by the idea of the sponge applicator, but I find it absolutely brilliant because believe it or not, it actually does its job quite well. My tube is undoubtedly very battered looking which isn't unexpected considering I use it tons, so no pretty pictures of unspoiled products today.

Texture: The formula is very light, but it contains a lot of pigment for such a texture. It's in a way a dewy formula, so you have tons of time to blend and it does not stick to dry patches at all. This formula blends seamlessly into the skin and looks incredibly natural while covering circles and any redness.
However, I don't think I'd be comfortable using this on oily skin because it's prone to sliding off on such skin, but it should work for other types.


Coverage: I always say that the coverage is medium because I feel that's how others would describe it and it does indeed cover less than for example the Collection's one, but actually it covers all I need on my skin. Admittedly I do not suffer from monstrous dark circles, at least I think so, but this concealer covers that redness I have under the eyes well. That's how I see it and you can be the judge yourself if you think it doesn't look covered enough on my pictures. I actually always use only thin layers, so you can get more coverage out of it. It can even manage to cover spots, though some redness might still shine though, so I actually end up using either Nars' or Collection's for more heavy duty tasks. I especially love using this on my nose since it's darker than the rest on my face due to freckles and I need an extra layer of coverage. This works fantastically because it doesn't look like I have a ton of foundation on my nose, but it looks so much more natural. I have on occasions used this as a foundation and it looked so good.  

On my before/after pictures I'm wearing only the concealer (just under my eyes, on the nose and a mini tap on my chin), so no additional base. My freckles are still visible, but the skin is much more even and that is how I like my makeup, just looking as natural as I can get it. Insert awkward full face pics:

Colour: I use the shade called Fair (03), which is kind of a pink equivalent of Bourjois' Healthy Mix Serum 51 Light Vanilla. It's not the best match for me, but it's decent, still I wish they sold another even lighter shade. I used to have another shade called Light. That one is about a shade darker and more yellow toned. I have swatches of both here and you can find swatches of Fair in concealer reviews (1, 2, 3). There are more shades available: Nude (Medium in the US) and Honey, while there are a couple other shades sold in the USA and they are Brightener (pink toned) and Neutralizer (yellow toned).


Staying power: I always hate this category because I never check my makeup during the day. It's obviously gone by the end of the day that's all I can say. It's not like Collection's or Nars which last forever on the skin, but if you take into account how much lighter and moisturising it is, than it's not such a surprise it doesn't last ages. One thing I have to warn you about this concealer is that it creases. However, this never bothered me much, I use powder to set it anyway and it's fine.


Packaging: It's very unique and one of my favourites. It has a twist up mechanism which delivers the product to the sponge and then you simply apply the product by swiping it or tapping, whatever is your preference. I've seen some people take off the sponge, but honestly in all these years I've never had a single breakout because of this concealer. Whether it's an unhygienic applicator or not, this doesn't affect my skin at all. The sponge is super handy, it does 90 % of the job for you, sometimes all the work actually, especially if you're like me an use thin layers, but the rest you can just quickly blend out with fingers or a brush and that's it.  

Price and availability: For some unfathomable reason this drugstore gem is not sold in Slovenia (why, why, WHY?! Maybelline Slovenia you're doing a great job of pissing me off), so I have to resort to buying it in our neighbouring Austria where it cost 9.95 € the last time I was there. One of my readers tells me that it's a lot cheaper in Italy, where it's 8.5 €. I used to buy it in Croatia, but they stopped selling there. Boots International and Feel Unique started selling it about a year ago, but they don't stock the shade Fair, only Nude and Light are available there. There is still eBay though, but prices vary as do the shipping costs. 


I have raved about the Eraser extensively in the past and it remains firmly at the top of my favourite concealers. I've used up a few tubes already and there will undoubtedly be more of them. If you want full coverage, this is not for you, but if you're like me searching for the most natural looking base and concealer products, don't hesitate to try this. The combination of a very light formula and the sponge application make this a concealer that is super-fast to apply, requires very little blending and one with such a natural "of course I'm not wearing makeup" effect. I really recommend you try it, but I can't promise you that you'll like it as much as me. By the way, you can read about my favourite concealers here


Koliko si vas želi, da bi ta korektor prodajali v naših drogerijah? Roke gor. 

Have a great day!