Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet 07 Nude-ist


I will openly admit that when I first saw and swatched Rouge Edition Velvets, I immediately disliked this shade and even considered it ugly. Oh, how wrong I was. But you have to admit that it doesn't look like much in the tube any way and quickly swatched under the deceiving shop lights it didn't really pack that wow factor like the rest of the shades. Turns out this is just gorgeous on the lips and I'm kicking myself for not picking it up sooner (Sanja recognized its beauty straight away. I should have trusted her judgment and advice *bows head in shame*).  


Nude-ist looks unappealingly dark nude in the tube and when swatched on the back of the hand, it has that brownish-nude look to it, which I found instantly unappealing. But on the lips it shows its true colours. It's a stunningly gorgeous muted rose colour, so basically a deep warm nude shade. It's almost exactly the same tone as my natural lips, but two (or maybe more) shades darker so it just brings some life to my face and some much needed definition (my lips are so pale and they get paler towards the edge, so I have no idea where they really end). I have nothing like it in my collection and it sparked the interest to find more colours like it. My cousin has the same shade for a while now and when she first saw this colour on me, she enthusiastically asked me what I wearing and was surprised when I told her it was Nude-ist, since she says it looks very different on her. So keep that in mind when you're looking at my swatches because I'm very pale and it's probably much darker on me than on most (I wear Nars Siberia if you don't know yet). It's very every day appropriate, though on my lips it's already not a true nude shade, but a classy medium natural-toned goodness and I would feel comfortable wearing this colour for any occasion.

 Yes, the cat ears are obligatory.


I've already talked extensively about the formula in my Grand Cru review and then some more in my review of Frambourjoise and Olé Flamingo. Given that I already own four of these, it's pretty clear how much I adore them. Out of those three shades it's closest in texture to Frambourjoise, meaning it has the type of pigmentation that is sheerer in the first light coat and fully opaque in the second. This is also the shade that is never truly matte (but it's very close) and doesn't completely dry, but rather stays more creamy and does transfer. This also means that those who tend to have drier lips might find it more comfortable to wear than for example Grand Cru, which becomes completely matte. However, if you're one who suffers from really dry lips, all these matte lip creams will feel drying to you. This lingering creaminess also means that it's the Velvet with the weakest staying power and only partly survives a meal or drinking, but still a lot better than an average lipstick in as similar shade.   


Here are all four shades I own: 02 Frambourjoise, 05 Olé Flamingo, 07 Nude-ist and 08 Grand Cru.


Have a great day!